- 1 Setting up SMA4 and SMA30 on IQ Option
- 2 Signals of 5 minute trading strategy on IQ Option
- 3 Pros and Cons of the 5-Minute Trading Strategy
- 4 Learning and developing the 5 minute trading strategy
- 5 5-Minute Trading Strategy Q&A
- 6 GENERAL RISK WARNING
Today we will show you a rule-based 5 minute trading strategy for binary and digital options. The Simple Moving Average (SMA) is one of the most popular moving average tools used for technical analysis. Using a single SMA has its drawbacks. The main disadvantage is the resulting lag due to the fact that SMA doesn't take many previous price points when calculating the average. Using 2 SMA indicators on the same chart however, can give you excellent trade entry points.
This guide will teach you how to use the SMA4 and SMA30 to trade 5 minute long positions on the IQ Option platform.
|→The 5-minute trading strategy uses SMA4 and SMA30 indicators to identify trade entry points.|
|→This strategy works best in trending markets and during high volatility periods.|
|→Practice and adapt the strategy to improve its effectiveness and suit your trading preferences.|
Setting up SMA4 and SMA30 on IQ Option
Once you've logged into your IQ Option trading account, set up the 1-minute Japanese candlesticks chart. Next, click on the indicators feature and select Moving Averages. On the MA window, select SMA for type and 4 for the period. Change the SMA4 line color to blue.
Repeat the same process to set up the SMA30 line. Change period to 30 and color to red.
Remember to click apply when you set up the SMA indicators. Also, your Japanese candle stick chart should have 1-minute candles. Of course, you can set the colour of the line and its thickness according to your own preferences. All the technical analysis indicators at IQ Option have the possibility of adjusting their parameters and visual characteristics.
Signals of 5 minute trading strategy on IQ Option
The traditional view often uses a pair of moving averages of different periods. With two averages, fast and slow, it is possible to assess chart situations by observing the relationship of these averages. Intersections of these averages are often used as signals to open trading positions. Our 5-minute trading strategy uses crossing averages, but the signals require one more element, namely that the price returns to the SMA(4).
Which trading strategy has highest win rate?
Strategies that rely solely on the intersection of averages do not always produce satisfactory results. Most often, additional filtering is required for such a strategy to work. One can filter using the trend of a long term average like the SMA200. Then buy positions are only opened when the market is above the SMA200 and short positions when the price is below the SMA200. You can also use a time-related filter. Numerous studies show that intersections work best during the London and New York trading sessions. You can also add 1 small element that we have introduced, which is price touching the SMA(4).
Once you've set the SMA indicators, your chart should look like the one below.
5 minute trading strategy BUY signal
The SMA4 line (blue) cuts the SMA30 (red) from below and starts moving above it. Enter a 5 minute buy position as soon as the SMA4 touches the first bullish (green) candle.
5 minute trading strategy SELL signal
The SMA4 line cuts the SMA30 from above and starts moving below it. Enter a 5 minute sell position when the SMA4 touches the first bearish (orange) candle.
Is 5-minute chart good for trading?
Remember that in this strategy we use a 1-minute chart. Therefore, taking into account the time frame of the chart, we could call it a 1 minute trading strategy. 5 minutes is the length of the trade. To trade on IQ Option you can use one of 2 instruments: binary options or digital options. You will probably use binary options more often, where option expiry times are more flexible and it is easy to choose a 5-minute expiry.
Pros and Cons of the 5-Minute Trading Strategy
- Easy to set up and understand, suitable for beginners.
- Effective in trending markets and during high volatility periods.
- Flexible enough to be used with binary or digital options.
- Can be adjusted and combined with other indicators for improved accuracy.
- Relies heavily on SMA indicators, which can produce lagging signals.
- Not as effective during sideways or consolidating markets.
- Requires constant monitoring and fast decision-making.
- Strategy performance may vary depending on market conditions and chosen financial instruments.
|Utilize a practice account to test the strategy||Remember that results may vary and past performance is not indicative of future returns|
|Combine with other indicators and filters for improved accuracy||Consider that adding more indicators may complicate the strategy and increase the risk of overfitting|
|Monitor the London and New York trading sessions for better signals||Keep in mind that trading during these sessions may involve higher volatility and risk|
Learning and developing the 5 minute trading strategy
This trading strategy works very well when the markets are trending. The foreign exchange market is a great testing ground for this method. In instances of high volatility such as after a news release, this strategy is extremely effective. Remember that you can enrich the strategy with additional filters that will improve the effectiveness of this 5 minute tradning strategy. In addition you can test today's method by using the average EMA instead of the SMA. Check out the possible variations and adjust the strategy to your preferences.
Now that you've learned how to use the SMA4 and SMA30 to trade 5 minute trading strategy, try it out in your IQ Option practice account today. We'd love to hear your about your results in the comments section below.
5-Minute Trading Strategy Q&A
- Q: Can the 5-minute trading strategy be used with other time frames?
- A: Yes, the strategy can be adapted to other time frames, but the effectiveness may vary. Test different time frames with a practice account to find what works best for you.
- Q: Is the 5-minute trading strategy suitable for all types of assets?
- A: The strategy may work better for certain assets, such as forex pairs, but its effectiveness may be reduced for others. Always test with a practice account before applying the strategy to different assets.
- Q: How can I improve the accuracy of the 5-minute trading strategy?
- A: You can combine the strategy with other indicators, filters, or time-related factors. However, be cautious not to overcomplicate the strategy, as it may lead to overfitting or reduced effectiveness.
- Q: Can I use the Exponential Moving Average (EMA) instead of the Simple Moving Average (SMA)?
- A: Yes, you can replace the SMA with the EMA to test the strategy's performance. EMA gives more weight to recent price data and may reduce the lagging effect associated with SMA.
- Q: How can I manage risk while using the 5-minute trading strategy?
- A: Always use proper risk management techniques, such as setting stop-loss orders, diversifying your portfolio, and only risking a small percentage of your capital per trade.
GENERAL RISK WARNING
Kindly note that this article does not provide any investment advice. The information presented regarding past events or potential future developments is solely an opinion and cannot be guaranteed as factual, including the provided examples. We caution readers accordingly.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
1 Response to "5 Minute Trading Strategy with Simple Moving Average. Better Use of SMA on IQ Option"