- 1 The basics of the trend line trading strategy
- 2 How to successfully trade the 3rd rebound from a trendline
- 3 Pros and Cons of Trend Line Trading Strategy
- 4 Is trend line trading strategy profitable?
- 5 Q&A: Trend Line Trading Strategy
- 6 GENERAL RISK WARNING
A trend line trading strategy is simply a trading method which uses trend lines to generate trading signals. A trend line is an additional line drawn on the price chart that shows the inclination to selective series of candles. It is commonly used by traders and it helps in carrying out market analysis. Today, I would like to describe a strategy that is based precisely on the trend lines.
|→Trend line trading strategy uses trend lines to generate trading signals for market analysis.|
|→Traders can open long and short positions using this strategy during uptrends and downtrends respectively.|
|→Choosing trades with high reward-to-risk ratios increases the potential for success.|
The basics of the trend line trading strategy
In order to draw a trend line, you have to look for the lows and highs on the price chart. When you spot a low, then a high and then a higher low, you will get a trendline by connecting the lows. Such a situation happens on the uptrend.
How do you master a trend line?
You can draw a trend line during the downtrend when you notice high, then low and lower high afterwards. Join highs and you will get a trend line.
Once you have a trend line drawn on your chart, what you are waiting for is the third touch of the line by a candlestick. This is in fact a place where you can open a trading position.
The below sketch presents the trend lines in both, uptrend and downtrend.
The first and second points help you to draw a trend line. At the third touch during the uptrend, you can buy, and during the downtrend, you can open a sell transaction. Using additionally a candlestick pattern would be wise. It can be a wicked candle or an engulfing candle.
How to successfully trade the 3rd rebound from a trendline
Opening a short position with the trend line trading strategy
Let's look at the exemplary AUDUSD chart below to illustrate how you can use the trend line trading strategy to open a short position.
You spot the high (1), then low and the lower high afterwards (2). This allows you to draw a trend line. The price continues to fall. Now you wait for a pullback to the trend line. The wicked candle appears on the trend line. This is a signal to enter a short position.
Place a stop loss just above this wicked candle that has signalled the trend entry. Take profit should be set at the level of the previous low.
In this example, there is quite a high reward to risk ratio. Such a setup is the most wanted one.
Opening a long position with the trend line trading strategy
Let's move to the example of opening a long trade. The first low (1) and the second higher low (2) determine your trend line. Now you only have to wait for the third point which is the pullback to the trend line with the wicked candle developed on the support. You can open a long transaction here.
Your stop loss should be placed just below the wicked candle and you should target the previous high. Again, in our example here we receive a really favourable reward-to-risk ratio with today's trend line trading strategy.
Pros and Cons of Trend Line Trading Strategy
- Simple and easy to understand
- Can be applied to various market conditions
- Utilizes price action and technical analysis
- Offers clear entry and exit points
- Requires practice to draw trend lines accurately
- Not suitable for extremely volatile markets
- May provide false signals in ranging markets
- Relies on the trader's ability to identify trends correctly
|Uptrend Example||Downtrend Example|
|Low (1) → Higher Low (2) → Trend Line → Long Position||High (1) → Lower High (2) → Trend Line → Short Position|
|Stop Loss: Below the wicked candle||Stop Loss: Above the wicked candle|
|Take Profit: Previous high||Take Profit: Previous low|
Is trend line trading strategy profitable?
The trend line trading strategy is quite simple in use. The most important step is to identify the trend and draw a trend line properly. Then, you just have to wait for a pullback to the trendline and a wicked or engulfing candle formed on the line.
Set a stop loss below (or above, depending on whether it is the uptrend or downtrend) the wicked candle and target the previous high (or low). This will help you to estimate the reward-to-risk ratio. The higher it would be, the better.
There are many ways to use trend lines. Today's trend line trading strategy focuses on playing from the 3rd pullback from the line. With additional confirmation, this technique works quite well. You can try using this type of signal for subsequent bounces as well, but keep in mind that with each subsequent bounce, a trendline violation becomes more likely.
I encourage you to go to the IQ Option demo account right away and draw a trend line. Use trend line trading strategy to open transactions effectively.
Share your thoughts with our community. You will find the comments section further down the site.
I wish you profitable trades!
Q&A: Trend Line Trading Strategy
- Q: How can I improve my accuracy in drawing trend lines?
- A: Practice identifying trends and drawing trend lines on different timeframes and across various market conditions. As you gain experience, you'll become more accurate and efficient.
- Q: Can I use additional indicators with the trend line trading strategy?
- A: Yes, you can use additional indicators such as moving averages or oscillators to confirm signals and improve the overall accuracy of your trades.
- Q: How do I determine if a market is suitable for trend line trading?
- A: Look for markets that exhibit consistent trends, and avoid those that are too volatile or range-bound.
- Q: Can I use the trend line trading strategy on different timeframes?
- A: Yes, the trend line trading strategy can be applied to various timeframes. However, you may need to adjust your stop loss and take profit levels accordingly.
- Q: How do I deal with false signals in the trend line trading strategy?
- A: Always use stop loss orders to protect your trades and consider using additional confirmation tools such as candlestick patterns or other technical indicators.
GENERAL RISK WARNING
Kindly note that this article does not provide any investment advice. The information presented regarding past events or potential future developments is solely an opinion and cannot be guaranteed as factual, including the provided examples. We caution readers accordingly.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
2 replies to "Simple aproach to use trend line trading strategy effectively on IQ Option. A 3-bounce play"